Paid To Promote

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Cut-Price Chocolate Day!

Friday, February 15, 2013
Whoo-hoo!

I shall tell you what I did on Valentine's Day, I, the married woman. I woke up to an email from my husband saying he had arrived alive at the Historical House, so I was happy about that. Then I blogged. Then I sailed out to see a married friend and she took me out for lunch, a pedicure and a walk in one of my favourite Toronto neighbourhoods while she assembled ingredients for a great Valentine's Day feast for her husband. Then I rushed off to Starbucks to meet a reader, and she told me a beautiful story, and then I went home to my parents. To my delight, my youngest sister had made chocolate brownies. Apparently the batter was in a heart shape when she put it in the oven, but it didn't come out in a heart shape. (An idea for next year's Christmas present emerges. Ooh! Those must be on sale today, too!)

I felt a bit guilty as I watched my friend plot out a glorious Valentine's Day feast for her husband. It has never occurred to me to make a glorious Valentine's Day feast for my husband because I think of Valentine's Day as All About the Girls. Fortunately, a few moments' reflection reminded me that he also thinks of it as a girl's day and, in fact, he prefers to do the cooking.  Therefore, there was no reason to feel guilty.

How did Operation Valentinus go?

Update: Sudden revelation, thanks to the Valentine's Day Bandit (see combox). The way Christians can take back Valentine's Day is to make Valentine's Day not about "romantic love" but about making sure others--not just a sweetheart or spouse--feel loved and/or cherished.

I realize that is what I have been getting at with Operation Valentinus, but I never put it into words. If we all make Valentine's Day about anyone (or everyone) we are fond of, then there is absolutely no reason to get in a chippy anti-Valentine's Day mood every year. And we'd still be buying stuff, so this won't threaten the powers that rule the card-chocolate-rose-sparkly heart industries. ;-)

Personally I love cards, chocolates, roses and sparkly hearts.

By the way, can I get a report on picketing "The V-- Monologues"?