Paid To Promote

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Friday Night Girls

Friday, August 24, 2012
Well, I have a big artsy day ahead of me planned. I am going to wash some of the dishes still left over from B.A.'s birthday, send congratulatory cards to two friends who have recently had babies, do an hour or so of Polish homework, hie me down to the Poetry Library to read Miłosz and do some Real Writing, see "Wojtek the Bear" at the Edinburgh Festival, possibly meet a pal for a drink, and, if I can stay up that late, see "Miłosz in Living Pictures" at the Edinburgh Festival.

I am doing all the Polish stuff without B.A. because he has decided firmly that anything having to do with Poland is my department. If I were a lot younger I would worry that various people would look at me and think "Who is that sad non-Polish lady all by herself at this Polish cultural event?" I never worry about this anymore because I have realized that the last person anyone in an audience wants to think about is someone else in the audience.

Speaking of the Edinburgh Festival, B.A. and I were on the Rough Bus last night, and if you ever want to be incognito as a North American, poppets, don't take a bus in Edinburgh with a group of very loud American or Canadian boys wearing kilts. (As a matter of fact, I determined that those particular loud people had to be Americans, but Canadians are loud too. It's soooo shame-making when an embarrassing pair of noisy Americans start yakking loudly about Tim Horton's and I realize they are not Americans but Canadians.)

Newsflash to American and Canadian tourist men: in the royal city of Edinburgh, men between the ages of 20 - 60 wear kilts only to weddings, sports events, clan gatherings and formal dinners. You aren't fooling anybody. Keep your voices down on the bus. If you are a loud American (or Canadian) man in a kilt or a loud American (or Canadian) girl who is loud on the bus, you should know that your departure will be celebrated by the quaint elderly Scots with mutters of "Bluidy Yanks."

Anyway, I will be running around town tonight by my little self going to theatre events and looking down my nose at loud American (or Canadian) men in cheap kilts. What are you doing tonight?