Paid To Promote

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Dream Jobs?

Saturday, September 1, 2012
Yesterday's write-in didn't work so well, so I'll leave out any political stuff this time.

As it's Labour Day weekend in Canada, and Labor Day weekend in the USA, why don't we all write about our dream job and steps we have taken to get it?

If your dream job is Homemaker and Mother, that is fabulous, and please go ahead and write it in the combox, although instead of mentioning steps you have taken (since this is one profession that you can't WORK to get), tell us of any courses you may have taken to become an even better Homemaker and Mother.

My dream job is to be a bestselling fiction-writer. I realize that the "bestselling" part isn't entirely up to me, but the image I keep having is of a glorious writer's office, like Meryl Streep's in Romancing the Stone or Emma Thompson's in Stranger than Fiction. Okay, at least a proper desk. Offices and desks cost money.

I also have an image of putting down a phone and saying to B.A. "Oh, guess what, darling. My agent says I'm being offered [fabulous sum] for [projected bestseller]" and B.A. saying "Hooray! We should get a holiday flat in [Mediterranean town]."

Nobody should write primarily for money, but if you write all the time anyway, money for writing becomes kind of a thing.

The steps I have taken include reading, blogging, writing short stories; writing articles for newspapers and journals; writing five novels, one of which has been accepted for publication; writing one non-fiction book, which has been accepted for publication in three countries; joining a writers' group to get some feedback; writing to the Scottish Book Trust for advice; and submitting short stories for publication (so far big 0 on the short stories). I write almost every single day. I carry a notebook everywhere and write in it frequently. I pay careful attention to the way both Scots and Poles reinvent English.

Enough about me. Your dream jobs please.