Paid To Promote

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

DIY Teal Mason Jars

Monday, March 26, 2012

Those beautiful blue/teal mason jars are so gorgeous. You can glam them up, dress them down, do whatever you want with them...if you can find them. When you do find them, they usually a little more expensive than you think. So I decided to make my own. I experimented and found a way I loved. Enjoy!

First, start with regular mason jars. I had a bunch of them from weddings, but I know you can get them on Amazon, at Walmart for little mula.
I bought some pretty teal glass paint at my craft store and mixed alot of paint, with a little bit of acrylic paint glaze. I wanted it to be a shiny and a thinner teal so I could see-through them, not matte and bold. For ratios, I would say 1/2 cup of paint and 1 teaspoon glaze. Mix it good!
I applied 2 coats to each with a foam brunch, in an up and down streak-like way. I let it dry a little for 10 minutes or so, then added another coat. Be careful around the rims, the excess paint will bubble.

I let dry over night to be 100% safe. If it is wet at all, then it will "melt" and run down the jars when baking. I laid them upside down on a pan (covered in aluminum foil just in case) at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Be careful, they are hot!

Boy, do they look GORGEOUS! The only thing you will notice is what I said before, the excess paint bubbles around the rim, however, it seemed to go away, mostly, in a few hours and wasn't a big deal!