Paid To Promote

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Happy St Lucy's Day!

Thursday, December 13, 2012
It's St Lucy's Day, and the third anniversary of this particular blog. So happy blogversary, and may your eyes be healthy and bright. I was going to say something about having a clear vision in life, but the philosopher Bernard Lonergan says "Knowing is not taking a good look," and so Lonerganians avoid sight analogies.

It is also my parents' wedding anniversary, so congratulations to my parents, and also to my brothers and sisters that we all grew up under the shelter of a happy, healthy, functional marriage. My husband didn't, as a matter of fact, so he is living testimony that you can still have a happy marriage yourself even if your parents didn't. But I am not as sweet-tempered as my husband, so I have to give my parents credit for instilling in me habits that come in very useful in married life, like handing out a lot of praise and avoiding any appearance of nagging.

Since this is a girl blog and because I hate suppressing thoughts, I would like to report that my mother's wedding dress was made of white wool trimmed with rabbit fur, and was cut from a Vogue pattern. The skirt came down to my mother's feet and had wide mediaeval sleeves. I don't think showed as much as my mother's collarbones. Instead of a veil (a veil would have looked stupid with wool), my mother wore a rabbit fur headband. She carried a bouquet of red poinsettia. She had a short blue cloak for outdoors. As a winter wedding ensemble, it rocked, and the photographs show my strangely young parents being dusted with snow outside the same church B.A. and I would marry in decades later.

My parents had their wedding on St. Lucy's Day to coincide with the university Christmas holidays, as my Dad was still a PhD student. Awww! They were so cute! (Of course they are still cute, but in a different way.)