Paid To Promote

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Wine a bit Wednesday

Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Black Box
Malbec
Argentina


Stop cleaning your glasses, wiping your computer screen or rubbing your eyes…that IS indeed a box wine on the blog. I know what you are thinking, "I thought Wine a bit Wednesdays were for good wine"…oh, yes, you are right, 'tis! The only box wine ever worthy to be a WABW.

Box wine takes me back to the good ol' weekends in college (hey, hey YCP!). My friends and I would scramble up the change from underneath the cushions,  bottom of our purses, and what was left in our bank accounts from the bar down the street (hey, hey Murphs!). They  would scared-ly (because they knew how I drove) get in my white t-top camera with pink racing stripes (yes,  that actually was my car, her name was Britney) and we would head to the wine shop. We would walk in like we owned the joint and when the clerk asked if we needed help we would laugh because, HA,  we didn't need their help…we knew where we were going,... to that bottom shelf,... all the way to the right, ...where the cheapest  5 liters of pink sangria in a cardboard vessel sat waiting for us at $7.99 a box. And we would buy 3.  

This, however, is not like that. In fact, I know we would not have even wanted it in college since this box wine is only 3 liters and retails around $20-30; as it should and is worth it. Let me start by saying that I have tried many of Black Box varietals, and they are all up to par and worthy of an elleDesign's  WABW. This is not your typical box wine, all of the varietals (there are like 10 or something) are pretty darn good. It is like buying 4 bottles of a decent $10 wine, that has a spicket, that stays good for 4 weeks.   That is the best part for those of you who don't want, or shouldn't, drink an entire bottle in one or 2 nights. If you want a glass of good wine, a glass at a time, this is for you.

My husband just brought home a bottle…I mean, a box, of Black Box Malbec and I added to the list of Black Box wines that didn't disappoint. I am a fan of Malbec in a bottle, and I now am a fan of Malbec in a "black box". Malbec has grown in popularity a tremendous amount, especially Argentinean Malbec.  In France, Malbec is very popular as well and is used typically as a blending wine. In Argentina the weather is perfect for full ripeness of the grapes,  which means it gets the most flavor and it is perfect to stand alone by itself (non-blended). This, my friend, is from Argentina.  This, my friend, shocked me how good it was! It is medium-bodied, peppery, and smooth. It is a little, just a little, heavy on the oak, but, ehh,  many of you will probably dig that. 
t
For me, this wine is great and my Mom is also a fan of Black Box (Hi Mom!).  I love having a wine that I can enjoy a glass at a time…and also for those times I would like a flowing spicket. If I didn't enjoy trying different wines and writing WABWs, I may switch to Black Box for most of the time. I know I would get less looks from the neighbors and be able to avoid that awkward smile when I bring my recycling bin around from the back that clings and clangs…and clings.......and clangs. Ku-dos Black Box.