Paid To Promote

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Why I Don't Like Giving Chastity Talks

Saturday, May 26, 2012
This is my second post for the day, so I'll keep it short.

Here is Simcha Fisher on an incredibly short-sighted form of abstinence education.

Young people are like sponges that soak everything up, and they don't always know what is true and what is false, what is now and what is past. My childhood and teenage attitudes towards sexuality were marked by stuff I read, stuff the average adult would probably not think would have such an effect on a child. And my expectations about married life were way off base, thanks to two or three chastity lecturers.

I live in fear that I will say or write something that will mess up a young person, and that is why I never knowingly reply to an email from teenager without suggesting she discuss my letter with her mother or favourite aunt. I would never, ever, ever want the responsibility of being a chastity lecturer, except to my own children.

Having linked to Simcha's article, however, I will say that I am as horrified as she is that non-virgins are being compared to glasses of dirty water, licked Hersey's kisses and bitten apples. That's way worse than the stuff I heard from chastity lecturers when I was a teenager.

H/T Mark Shea.